- Associate Professor Rosa Vallejos named the 2021-2023 Presidential Teaching Fellow
- Professor Sherman Wilcox promoted to the rank of Distinguished Professor
- Lecturer III Dawn Nordquist and Associate Professor Naomi Shin were selected for A&S Teaching Excellence Awards, and graduate students Motomi Kajitani and Josefina Bittar were awarded the Susan Deese Roberts Outstanding Teaching Assistants.
- The Navajo Language Program responded to the pandemic by offering virtual Diné Culture Nights that proved to be wildly popular.
- 2019 was the UNESCO International Year of Indigenous Languages! Assistant Professor Melvatha Chee represented the department and the Navajo Language Program around the world at 8 conferences in the US, Canada, Australia and Europe.
- Professor Sherman Wilcox was elected President of the International Cognitive Linguistics Association.
- Professor Sherman Wilcox named Associate Editor of the journal Cognitive Linguistics.
- The Department of Linguistics mourns the loss of our colleagues and friends, Regents’ Professor Emerita Veronka (Vera) John-Steiner and Professor Emeritus Alan Hudson.
- Mrs. Cora McKenna of Nambé Pueblo awarded honorary degree of Doctor of Letters (Litt.D.)
- Professor Melissa Axelrod honored with 2017 Ken Hale Award
- Distinguished Professor Emerita Joan Bybee named Collitz professor of the 2017 Linguistic Institute
- Record year for student funding: 1 Mellon, 3 Bilinskis and 3 LAII Fellowships awarded to Linguistics graduate students.
- Professor Emerita Joan Bybee elected Fellow of the Cognitive Science Society
- Department honors Professor Emerita Phyllis Wilcox with a Symposium.
- Professor Bill Croft named Linguistic Society of America Fellow.
- 01/09/2014: Signed Language Interpreting Program receives 10-year accreditation.
- 11/25/2013: Adjunct Professor Ian Maddieson has been named a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.