- Brenda McKenna and Dr. Cora McKenna were selected for the Excellence in Community Linguistics Award by the LSA for their outstanding contributions towards the documentation and revitalization of their language, Nambé Tewa
Professors Melvatha Chee, Naomi Shin and Jill Morford established the Lobo Language Acquisition Lab and initiated the #CelebrateBilingualismNM! Campaign
- Associate Professor Rosa Vallejos named the 2021-2023 Presidential Teaching Fellow
- Professor Sherman Wilcox promoted to the rank of Distinguished Professor
- Lecturer III Dawn Nordquist and Associate Professor Naomi Shin were selected for A&S Teaching Excellence Awards, and graduate students Motomi Kajitani and Josefina Bittar were awarded the Susan Deese Roberts Outstanding Teaching Assistants.
- The Navajo Language Program responded to the pandemic by offering virtual Diné Culture Nights that proved to be wildly popular.
- 2019 was the UNESCO International Year of Indigenous Languages! Assistant Professor Melvatha Chee represented the department and the Navajo Language Program around the world at 8 conferences in the US, Canada, Australia and Europe.
- Professor Sherman Wilcox was elected President of the International Cognitive Linguistics Association.
- Professor Sherman Wilcox named Associate Editor of the journal Cognitive Linguistics.
- The Department of Linguistics mourns the loss of our colleagues and friends, Regents’ Professor Emerita Veronka (Vera) John-Steiner and Professor Emeritus Alan Hudson.
- Mrs. Cora McKenna of Nambé Pueblo awarded honorary degree of Doctor of Letters (Litt.D.)
- Professor Melissa Axelrod honored with 2017 Ken Hale Award
- Distinguished Professor Emerita Joan Bybee named Collitz professor of the 2017 Linguistic Institute
- Record year for student funding: 1 Mellon, 3 Bilinskis and 3 LAII Fellowships awarded to Linguistics graduate students.
- Professor Emerita Joan Bybee elected Fellow of the Cognitive Science Society
- Department honors Professor Emerita Phyllis Wilcox with a Symposium.
- Professor Bill Croft named Linguistic Society of America Fellow.
- 01/09/2014: Signed Language Interpreting Program receives 10-year accreditation.
- 11/25/2013: Adjunct Professor Ian Maddieson has been named a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.