I teach courses on phonetics and phonology at the undergraduate and graduate levels. My research uses a laboratory phonology approach, and in recent years has been largely concerned with prosody, especially in French. Current areas of research include articulatory correlates of French prosodic structure as produced by native speakers and learners, prosodic reduction, and the perception of prosodic structure. I also served as chair of the Linguistics department from 2010-2014.
- Ph.D. Linguistics, Yale University, 1992. Dissertation: The timing of vowel and consonant gestures. Director: Louis Goldstein.
- M.A. Linguistics, Yale University, 1986.
- B.A. French, Bryn Mawr College, 1980.
- Prosody, laboratory phonology, phonetics and phonology of French, articulatory phonology
- Hualde, J., Cole, J., Smith, C., Eager, C., Mahrt, T. and Napoleão de Souza, R. (2016). “The perception of phrasal prominence in English, Spanish and French conversational speech.” Proceedings of Speech Prosody 2016, Boston. http://www.isca-speech.org/archive/SpeechProsody_2016/abstracts/206.html
- Smith, C. and Napoleão de Souza, R. (2015). “The phrasing of dislocations in French: Comparing spontaneous speech and reading.” Proceedings of the 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Glasgow. https://www.internationalphoneticassociation.org/icphs-proceedings/ICPhS2015/Papers/ICPHS0720.pdf
- Guest editor with Ian Maddieson for two issues of the journal Laboratory Phonology http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/labphon (2:2, 2011 and 3:1, 2012).
- Smith, C. and Edmunds, P. (2013). “Native English listeners’ perceptions of prosody in L1 and L2 reading.” To appear in the Proceedings of Interspeech 2013, Lyon, France.
- Smith, C. (2011). “Naïve listeners’ perceptions of French prosody compared to the predictions of theoretical models.” In the proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on the Discourse-Prosody Interface 2009 http://makino.linguist.jussieu.fr/idp09/actes_fr.html, Paris, September 2009. pp. 335-349.
- Smith, C. (2009). “Experimental phonetics.” In Quantitative and Experimental Linguistics (David Eddington, ed.), pages 159-196. Munich: Lincom.
- Smith, C. (2007). “Prosodic accommodation by French speakers to a non-native interlocutor.” Proceedings of the 16th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Saarbrücken, Germany, pp. 1081-1084.
- “Collaborative Research: Constituents and heads in prosody perception: a comparative study” Collaboration with Jennifer Cole and José Hualde, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. National Science Foundation, 15 February 2013 – 31 July 2017.
- Treasurer of the Association for Laboratory Phonology.
- Co-chair, LabPhon 12 conference, 2010.
- Phonetics; Phonology, especially prosody and laboratory approaches.
- Ling 303 Introduction to Phonetics
- Ling 304 Phonological Analysis
- Ling 502 Laboratory Phonology
- Ling 503 Usage-Based Phonology
- Ling 490/590 Prosody and Discourse