I teach courses on phonetics and phonology at the undergraduate and graduate levels. My research uses a laboratory phonology approach, and in recent years has been largely concerned with prosody, especially in French. Current areas of research include prosodic structure as produced by native speakers and learners, prosodic reduction, and the perception of prosodic structure. I am currently serving as chair of the Linguistics Department.
- Ph.D. Linguistics, Yale University, 1992. Dissertation: The timing of vowel and consonant gestures. Director: Louis Goldstein.
- M.A. Linguistics, Yale University, 1986.
- B.A. French, Bryn Mawr College, 1980.
- Prosody, laboratory phonology, phonetics and phonology of French, articulatory phonology
- Smith, C.L. (2022). “Réalisation de syntagmes accentuels de différents nombres de syllabes : Différences entre locutrices L1 et L2.” In Olivier Crouzet and Élisabeth Delais (eds.), Actes du 34e Journées d’Étude sur la Parole, Noirmoutier, France.
- Smith, C., Erickson, D. and Savariaux, C. (2019). Articulatory and acoustic correlates of prominence in French: Comparing L1 and L2 speakers. Journal of Phonetics 77, 100938.
- Cole, J., Hualde, J.I., Smith, C., Eager, C., Mahrt, T. and Napoleão de Souza, R. (2019). Sound, structure and meaning: The bases of prominence ratings in English, French and Spanish. Journal of Phonetics 75, 113-147.
- Smith, C. (2019). Perceived phrasing in French: a survey of some sentence structures. In Mark Gibson and Juana Gil (eds.), Romance Phonetics and Phonology, pages 216-238. Oxford University Press.
- Guest editor with Ian Maddieson for two issues of the journal Laboratory Phonology http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/labphon (2:2, 2011 and 3:1, 2012).
- “Collaborative Research: Constituents and heads in prosody perception: a comparative study” Collaboration with Jennifer Cole and José Hualde, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. National Science Foundation, 15 February 2013 – 31 July 2017.
- Finance Committee of the Association for Laboratory Phonology.
- Invited researcher, Laboratoire Dynamique du Langage, Lyon, France, spring 2022
- Editorial Board, Laboratory Phonology
- Phonetics; Phonology, especially prosody and laboratory approaches.
- Ling 303 Introduction to Phonetics
- Ling 304 Phonological Analysis
- Ling 502 Laboratory Phonology
- Ling 503 Usage-Based Phonology
- Ling 490/590 Prosody Seminar